One of the challenges we often have in becoming people who follow their hearts to pursue their God-inspired dreams is not knowing where or how to start.
In our society, which is fast-paced and rapidly changing, we can often get off track. The demands and pressures of life can crowd out the whispers ( sometimes shouts) of God. Other times it may not be society, but just our own sense of disconnect from who we are and what we want for our lives.
So how do you connect with your heart and soul to gain clarity?
The answer can be found in the silence.
Clarity of purpose. Clarity of direction. Clarity of dreams. It can all be accessed in the quiet moments.
The amazing thing about God is that He is always talking to us, even when we think He is not. He is talking to us through His word, people who cross our paths, and in the events that happen in our lives.
How to become silent?
Clarity starts with a commitment to becoming quiet. It means taking time for yourself and God so you start to tune in and listen. Think of it like a radio dial. Sometimes as I drive through rural parts of the South, the station on my car radio becomes staticky. If I want to continue to hear the station I am listening to I have to adjust the dial. When I adjust the dial the station becomes clear again. That is what silence is like too. Often times we have to adjust the dials in our lives so the station of God is not full of static, but instead is coming through loud and clear.
Here are some ways to go to the silence so you can hear God:
- Take a few minutes each day after you wake up, to sit quietly. Pick a place where you will have uninterrupted time. Learn how to be open to the silence.
- Spend time alone with God. In the Bible there are several examples of Jesus needing to pull away from the crowds, even from His disciples those who were closest to him, so he could rest and spend time alone with God. Jesus had a specific purpose, he knew what he was called to do, but he also knew he needed to stay in constant communion with God. And so do we.
- Prayer. Thank him for what he has done in your life so far. Lay before him the things you are seeking clarity about. Ask him to help you be open to hearing what He has to say to you.
- Spend time reading the Bible and other spiritual books. God can often give you the clarity and wisdom you are seeking through the stories of other people's lives.
- Look at the people who are in your life. What are they there to teach you about your purpose and dreams? Even in the most challenging relationships, there is an abundance of opportunities to learn and grow spiritually and emotionally.
- Go in nature. I walk daily and it is during my walks that God speaks to me the most. I receive answers to problems, ideas to explore and insight into areas of my life that I need to work on. Nature is where God's beauty is on display. Sitting in the silence of nature clears your mind and helps you to connect to the beauty that is also within yourself.
- Limit technology. Most people who know me, know I have never been into technology. With starting my business, the time I spend on the computer and social sites has increased, but I also realized that I had, to put limits on how much time I spend on the computer. It's easy to get caught up in looking at how other people are living their lives and seem to have it all. Be mindful, though, what we see often is what people want us to see, as my pastor likes, to say the "highlight reels of their lives." If we are not careful we can let what we see on the screen direct our paths instead of God.
To help you get clear and started on living your God-inspired dreams, I have some great tools and
products available. Check these out:
Want to know how to get moving in the direction of your dreams? Read things to do to get started.
Discover five reasons why your dreams are important.
Dream killers not allowed. Find out why having the right people in your corner is crucial.
My new e-book to help you become clear about your God-inspired dreams.
Make sure you Sign Up to receive the wordsbytara.com Weekly.
Sharing is a good thing. Tell someone about wordsbytara.com
I would love to hear from you. Send me your comments and questions.